1920X1080 or 1280x720?

I have a project that requires some render time if made in FullHD at 1920x1080. I would like to do it at that size but render time becomes somewhat impractical.

I’ve seen a nice project in the popular items made at 1280x720 and looks like buyer purchase it anyway even if is not FullHD.

Is FullHD really required by buyers or I’m losing my time? Should I go with 1280x720?

It depends on what your project is going to be. Do you expect the end result to be featured on websites and embedded within youtube/vimeo frames? Then 720p should be enough.

When your project is going to be featured on full screens and the like, you should go with 1080p.

If your project is existing out of vector layers only, you could work in a very low resolution and scale up unlimited afterwards. Just drag the low res comp into a new Full HD comp and scale it up. Don’t forget to turn Continuous Rasterization on for each layer.

+1

motionvids said

It depends on what your project is going to be. Do you expect the end result to be featured on websites and embedded within youtube/vimeo frames? Then 720p should be enough.

When your project is going to be featured on full screens and the like, you should go with 1080p.

If your project is existing out of vector layers only, you could work in a very low resolution and scale up unlimited afterwards. Just drag the low res comp into a new Full HD comp and scale it up. Don’t forget to turn Continuous Rasterization on for each layer.

the project is made in Cinema4D,

render time is referring to how much it takes to create a frame in that software. Smaller image less time.

Don’t know about where it can be used. The project from the popular list items I’m speaking about is a broadcast package so is made for screen, obviously, yet is 1280x720.

I think I will go with 1280x720.

I’d go with 1080p.

always…

InlifeThrill said

I’d go with 1080p.

but that 720p project sells. I understand how it looks is also important but if mine looks like crap will not sell even if is 1080p

it looks like buyers doesn’t really care about resolution that much. I don’t know what to say.

I would like to make it 1080p but is really worth to double the time invested if the people purchase the 720p resolution anyway?

@InlifeThrill your project Over The Edge - 3D is 1280x720 and it still has very nice sales. Can you tell me if buyers asked you for a FullHD resolution of that project, if you want to share :slight_smile: off course

I think that increasingly, full HD is the way to go.

Computers are faster than they were 3 years ago. In another 3 years, they’ll be faster still. Full HD future-proofs your project.

If the customer need a 1080p you will miss a sale but… if the customer need the 720p, he can change the resolution easily from 1080p to 720p and no the other way :confused:

1080p always. I have only one 720p project because I used stabilized footage and downscale was a must in that case to keep the quality.

I don’t agree with this: "It depends on what your project is going to be."

We never know where final product will be used, from web banners to big screens.

I’d go with 1080p. With 4K becoming increasingly popular, it doesn’t make sense to produce projects at 720p anymore. Plus, I feel that taking the time to create a 1080p project gives your customers more options, instead of simply trying to save yourself a few hours by creating a 720p project.

Let it render overnight or over the weekend! It can’t be that bad can it?

dorde said

1080p always. I have only one 720p project because I used stabilized footage and downscale was a must in that case to keep the quality.

I don’t agree with this: "It depends on what your project is going to be."

We never know where final product will be used, from web banners to big screens.

True, but then again you can make a rough estimation on what your item is going to be used for out of common sense. I aim to create templates used for online activities only, people are free to us them anywhere else of course.

Anyway, my latest After Effects template is primarily to be used through online video services such as youtube/vimeo and yet it does come in 4k resolution, and that’s just to be future proof.

So maybe I want to alter my initial statement here and say you have to go with 1080p, doru :slight_smile:

The best of all is when client contact me for project customization and insist on full hd, but he send me images something like 320x240, or raster logo in 100x100px :smiley:

dorde said

The best of all is when client contact me and insist on full hd, but he send me images something like 320x240, or raster logo in 100x100px :smiley:

I’ve been there to. One time, a client sent in a 250x250 preview image which needed to be displayed on full screen(1080), the client insisted to use this image and had no alternative. I scaled it up and said “Hello Pixels!”.

I’ve never heard of him again.

@InlifeThrill your project Over The Edge - 3D is 1280x720 and it still has very nice sales. Can you tell me if buyers asked you for a FullHD resolution of that project

Every day. :slight_smile:

Go full!

MotionRevolver said

is not that bad, managed to reduce the render time to around 1 minute x frame. Before was around 5 minutes

so now for 30 seconds video should be 15 -17 hours of render.

I just had a doubt of why should I lose time on fullHD when there’s that 720p project that sells anyway.

Thank You everybody :slight_smile: I’m convinced, I will go with 1080p and hope for the best.

InlifeThrill said

Every day. :slight_smile:

Go full!

thank you! :slight_smile: that’s the definitive argument, FullHD it is then.

i think if the 720p is going to end, the upload size limitation has to be changed too! i myself had this problem on my new project which is still in review queue … if i wanted to go for FullHD, the size of the project would go above 1 gb! now it is 675mb in HD!

MotionRevolver said

I’d go with 1080p. With 4K becoming increasingly popular, it doesn’t make sense to produce projects at 720p anymore. Plus, I feel that taking the time to create a 1080p project gives your customers more options, instead of simply trying to save yourself a few hours by creating a 720p project.

I don’t think we’re going to see much in the way of 4K motion graphics in the near future. It requires a lot more computing power - and there are currently few monitors or TVs that can display 4K, no media that can save 4K (DVD/Blu-ray style) and no TV channels that broadcast 4K. Until some or all of those things happen, I can’t see it.

Generally, even footage that is shot at 4K is posted at 2K or HD.

In my experience, only feature film is regularly doing it at 4K at the moment.

Maybe give it 5 or 6 years.

I’d think twice about buying a 720p project.

I just released a 4K logo :smiley: