1200 grid system or 960 grid system and why?

What do you think guys?
Should i use the 1200 grid system or 960 grid system and why?
If you know some websites using the 1200 grid system plz post a link :slight_smile:

Imagine 1200px on a 1024x768 screen resolution (many laptops use it). :slight_smile:

1024x768 is like IE 6-8, A lot of people still use it and you need to develop your websites to be accessible to as many people as possible.

You also have to take into consideration mobile browsers, tablets, webTV etc…

Widescreen websites, CSS3, HTML5 or any cutting-edge technology should be used sparingly until it becomes the standard.

christopherjon said

1024x768 is like IE 6-8, A lot of people still use it and you need to develop your websites to be accessible to as many people as possible.

You also have to take into consideration mobile browsers, tablets, webTV etc…

Widescreen websites, CSS3, HTML5 or any cutting-edge technology should be used sparingly until it becomes the standard.

thank you, then i will make my theme using the 960 grid system

or build your own at http://www.spry-soft.com/grids

cmt said

Imagine 1200px on a 1024x768 screen resolution (many laptops use it). :slight_smile:

Netbooks, more like. I use a 1000 pixel grid just as Parallelus does.

I believe, for the last two years the situation has drastically changed. It seems to be that 960 grid systems turn to be useless (those narrow sites look outdated). What is the best grid system for wide screens?

I’m developing my first wide-screen theme at the moment. As a strarting point I choose 1920-width screen. I don’t use any grid system, and draw my own with margins about 5.55%. Just trying to figure it out how to make sure that my theme will fit even wider screens. Should I get my theme fixed at 1710px (and make it responsive to smaller sizes) or let it go up to any over-1920 screen width?

I have a 27 inch screen, but i still like websites that don’t go any bigger than 1024 or 1280.

I do also like cool ones who go bigger. But i feel lots of people tend to go with realy wider sites for the wrong reason.

Main reason i always see is screen size and screen resolutions. Yes, nowadays we have bigger screens and higher resolutions. But with my 27 inch screen and a resolution of 2560 x 1440, do i ever have my browser window full screen? Never. And i think most people with realy larger screens and higher resolutions barely use their entire screen to browse.

That’s why i think, and my own surfing experience is that a site which goes up to 1024 or 1280 is still very pleasant to look at and interact with.

310MPH said

(those narrow sites look outdated).

I totally disagree. A nice designed site of 1024 pixels wide looks just a good as always.
Even on big screens.

310MPH said

I’m developing my first wide-screen theme at the moment. As a strarting point I choose 1920-width screen. I don’t use any grid system, and draw my own with margins about 5.55%. Just trying to figure it out how to make sure that my theme will fit even wider screens. Should I get my theme fixed at 1710px (and make it responsive to smaller sizes) or let it go up to any over-1920 screen width?

So unnecessary, and frankly i think it’s even non-userfriendly to have such a big site. I don’t want to look and move my mouse too far down or sides the whole screen for a site.

Besides that, like i said in my previous comment: it’s rarely the case that people with such large screens browse full width. Most of the time the browser is still half the width or something.

Take a look at new approved themes here so you will see. Main content of site should be up to 1200px in center of screen and background should be 100% wide. If main content is 100% wide I believe that is called “liquid” layout and it is useful only for some kinds of sites (eg. with lot of text and with not much of design), not for all.

True. But just because a lot of the latest sites on here do this doesn’t mean it’s the best choice.

Also, on sites with lots of text you should avoid having too wide content. Too long textlines are not optimal for reading, specially on a screen.

But like you said, i depends on what kind of site it is. I love the big/full width portfolio/photography sites and those kind of sites really suit wider designs. But i also like nice compact designs that just stay within 1024 pixels wide.

It’s also a bit personal i think - but definitly not mandatory to support large widths.

ChapterThemes said

So unnecessary, and frankly i think it’s even non-userfriendly to have such a big site. I don’t want to look and move my mouse too far down or sides the whole screen for a site.

I feel quite comfortable on css-tricks.com and always have my browser fullscreen. :)

Thanks for your replies. As for me, it’s good news that people in the web-industry don’t chase wide-screen sites. Anyway, I’ll try to take a risk and develop one, but with a content area that is no greater than 1710px. Let’s see what it brings to me.

BTW, more opinions are appreciated!

I never understand these kinds of questions. Simply give it a max-width of 1200px, set all as percentages and ensure it looks good at all widths - especially 960, ipad portrait and wide and iphone and you have covered 99% of the globe.