1 license key per domain name

one idea that come to my mind is that by using this api i can sell items on codecanyon and ask people to log into another website to get a unique license per domain name ,

in this website the following can be done :

get the user connected via Oauth
then see if he made a purchase
then ask him what domain name he will use the item for
then generate a unique license for this unique domain name

if you don’t do this there is no other way to protect your items from beeing used in multiple end products

plus many people will share your items for free in forums or so

do you think what i said is good as idea ?

one idea that come to my mind is that by using this api i can sell items on codecanyon and ask people to log into another website to get a unique license per domain name ,

in this website the following can be done :

get the user connected via Oauth
then see if he made a purchase
then ask him what domain name he will use the item for
then generate a unique license for this unique domain name

if you don’t do this there is no other way to protect your items from beeing used in multiple end products

plus many people will share your items for free in forums or so

do you think what i said is good as idea ?

Yes, it certainly is a good idea. But it’s not possible here on CodeCanyon.

How will you prevent users from skipping around the license verification? CodeCanyon does not allow encrypted items - it’s a market for source code so the code must be readily available in the download.

You must also consider users who wish to install your items twice, for example once for production and once for development, or wish to reinstall it at any point in the future.

Some top authors here have recommended using automatic updates as an incentive for activating licenses. That’s what I do with my scripts too – it shows them all of the updates that could be just a click away and gives a button to activate. Even WPBakery does this, and it works well. :slight_smile:

That being said, if you go this route, make sure that your update system is secure.

first i do not know really if i have the right to ask people to buy a new license when they change domain name , i think this is not fear , if i do one license per domain name , i may consider to give people who change domain name a new free license , but this will be so hard and manual . because i need them to show me that they ended the use of my item for the old domain name

for installing the item twice once in the production machine and once in the developpment machine i think this is easy somehow , if some one buy license for abcd.com i will give him also ability to install the item for abcd.com.devmachine he can simply create a local virtual private server with this second domain name for the devloppment machine

but for this : How will you prevent users from skipping around the license verification?
i think the one who can skip the verification is a professional developer who will not copy item if he like it he can make one similar to it

and here : it’s a market for source code so the code must be readily available in the download.
i think as i speak another language than english i am allowed to use it in my code , i did not find any term saying i should be using english on my source code , plus i do not know much in english more than this few simple words which i am using at my best to communicate with you

so i think by nature my work would be encrypted haha

plus when you adopt new ways of developing people must spend time to understand how your code work , i always found it hard to understand items of others

i did forget to mention that items i am interested for are items which don’t need another thing than few steps in setup and some customization , so if someone buy them he can just use them or resell them as they are

if you go this route, make sure that your update system is secure.
yes of course if i am vulnerable my customers are also

Some top authors here have recommended using automatic updates as an incentive for activating licenses.
i did not fully understand what you mean and how activation can be done this way ,

do you mean when i sell an item and later i have some updates for it , the update should be done via my website , and before doing the update i can check if the website requesting the update has a legit purchased item ?

if this is the case than why not remove a simple few things from first items . and once the user install it a popup telling him there is an available update which is no more than the rest of the item which i removed before

and i did not get exactly how what you said about updates can protect against using the same item in different places or reselling the same item for different peoples

i have another idea , which may resole all problems you mention previously
why dont put in every item some code that do the following :
when the item is being installed it ask people to login to envato via Oauth
then it verify it they made the purchase then it accept whatever domain name they want

at least this way i am sure they purchased the item
and if they want to share it on forums they will need to share their on envato account
but they will be able to install it as much as they want for different domain name
only god and the play fair will prevent them from breaking the license

it this kind of verification allowed

It depends.

At CodeCanyon, the license is one per end product, not one per domain. If the end product is simply being renamed and subsequently gets a new domain name, then it shouldn’t require a new license.

If you’re an Exclusive Author, you cannot give away free licenses.

That’s why I trusted my customers and made it automatic. Not much else you can do unfortunately without handling it all manually.

Definitely not okay. The license the user purchases does not say their development environment will be restricted. I personally set up my local projects at “project.local” on my computer. Others use localhost. Some even use the actual domain name but have it linked to a local server in the system hosts file.

Yes, you’re allowed to use another language in your code, I never said you could not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, CodeCanyon has historically disallowed encrypted items. A common rejection message from the CodeCanyon reviewers is this:

• Please make sure the item doesn’t contain any encrypted code or a third party licensing system.

If you must encrypt your work, then you should probably look for an alternative marketplace which accepts encrypted items; but for CodeCanyon, the code is important.

Buyers on CodeCanyon also expect a fully open-source item. Many of them will hire freelancers to change your code to their needs. The PHP scripts category is for code, not applications.

Not sure what you’re trying to say here. I’m not proposing that you adopt a new way of programming.

No. You need to upload updates to CodeCanyon. An automatic update system only helps to get some revenue from users of the “free redistributions” you were talking about in your initial post.

Just so we’re on the same page, there is nothing you can do to stop someone from using your script multiple times with one license. That is unless you catch them, of course, but the problem is that you can’t catch them because there’s no way to force them to activate their product. You can only encourage them to get another license.

This would require encryption to enforce, which again, is not allowed here.

1 Like

as you like show you not to review but to share knowledge with you

he CodeCanyon reviewer will also need to read your code to verify it is secure and follows best practices for approval,

do you mean using mvc or others specific ways of developing is an obligation
what if i have my own way which they dont understand
the fair thing for mee is to give all infos about security measures you took and give test that demonstrate that , and ask them to find a weakness is they can , otherwise they dont have right to reject item ony because it dont follow the best practice they know
they are best practices they dont know haha

Ah okay, sorry. The PHP functions and syntax will still be in English though, so it shouldn’t be hard for an experienced programmer to go in and change things. :slight_smile:

In fact, the CodeCanyon reviewer will also need to read your code to verify it is secure and follows best practices for approval, so surely it won’t be too daunting of a task.

And in this case then you will have no way to verify licenses because the user can skip it by changing the code. See what I’m saying? :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re right, you can definitely sell applications on the PHP scripts category! Those applications are also source code because they aren’t encrypted, so they can be sold in the PHP scripts category. That’s all I was trying to say.

So go ahead and give your item an upload but honestly there’s no way for you to enforce licensing like this.

Also, beware, your item may get rejected if you require them to activate a license to use the application. I’ve seen many items rejected for this (and I’ve seen many approved).

Sweet! No need to show me anything as I’m not a reviewer, but definitely proceed with your application and Good Luck With Sales! :smiley:

as you like show you not to review but to share knowledge with you

he CodeCanyon reviewer will also need to read your code to verify it is secure and follows best practices for approval,

do you mean using mvc or others specific ways of developing is an obligation
what if i have my own way which they dont understand
the fair thing for mee is to give all infos about security measures you took and give test that demonstrate that , and ask them to find a weakness is they can , otherwise they dont have right to reject item ony because it dont follow the best practice they know
they are best practices they dont know haha

No; MVC, or any other programming paradigm, is not required. Neither is a framework, but they may request that you use a framework if your app is too disorganized. You’ll be able to choose whether or not to do this, though.

They will understand.

For security, they will check the code and make sure that your application doesn’t have simple vulnerabilities like SQL injection, XSS, CSRF, etc.

Well, they have the right to reject your item for many reasons, including if they think it won’t sell. It’s important to remember that CodeCanyon is not an open marketplace, you must be accepted into it.

haha madee me laugh

Well, they have the right to reject your item for many reasons, including if they think it won’t sell. It’s important to remember that CodeCanyon is not an open marketplace, you must be accepted into it.

aha i see im learning from you a lot about codecanyon
thank you a lot

is there still this limitation of 19 post per day for me ?

To be honest, I’m not sure. Moderators don’t have a way to see that information. Or perhaps I’m blind. Probably the latter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just chiming in about the post limits - Discourse (our forum software) has some automatic limits for new accounts, and a system of “trust level” triggered by things like reading topics, replying, etc. @alfadoni - you’re no longer in the new user group, so you shouldn’t see any more error messages about hitting a maximum number of posts for the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

great news haha because i was saving my 19 posts so i can talk all along the day
i’ve been waiting since yesterday

1 Like

i have seen that an item can be rejected if it is not well documented and organized
what i think here is when the item itself is a full application the only documentation needed is how to install it , how to maintain it , how to power it up , shut it down , how to make it work properly ,

i can not give full documentation to every single line , this will be like giving the source code and how it was made , then if you buy this item and know how it is made completely why would you buy from me again ,

so i think the only documentation is how to use it , and if there is parts of the item that need to be linked with other items how to do this , that’s it . don’t you think ?

You don’t need to document the code, right. Just document how to install, how to use it, and all the various features. Also consider adding update instructions and/or diagnostic instructions, and a way to contact you for support.

great you gave me lot of help here
can you show me your work ? your page on codecanyon

can you show me your work at codecanyon ?